Info & Downloads
Habitat Salem Reports
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Habitat for Humanity?
How does Habitat for Humanity help families?
How does Habitat for Humanity homeownership work?
Each local Habitat’s family selection committee selects homeowners based on three criteria:
- The applicant’s level of need.
- Their willingness to partner with Habitat.
- Their ability to repay a mortgage through an affordable payment plan.
As part of their willingness to partner, Habitat’s home buyers invest hundreds of hours of their own labor, called sweat equity, working alongside volunteers and other Habitat homeowners.
Habitat for Humanity follows a nondiscriminatory policy of family selection. Neither race nor religion is a factor in choosing Habitat’s homeowners.
Does Habitat for Humanity only build new houses?
- In addition to new construction, Habitat also renovates existing homes in many communities, particularly in urban areas.
- Habitat for Humanity helps people repair and improve their own homes and neighborhoods.
- Habitat’s Disaster Response works with local communities to address a variety of housing needs after natural disasters.
- Habitat’s advocacy work raises awareness and support for decent and affordable housing around the world.
- Outside of North America, Habitat works with partner organizations to serve even more families through innovative financing methods.
How can I become a volunteer?
- Travel and build
- Volunteer long-term
- Volunteer as part of a group
- Volunteer as part of a special event
If you are interested in helping nationally or internationally, visit the Volunteer section of the Global Habitat website.
What are Habitat for Humanity affiliates?
Does Habitat for Humanity accept donations?
We also have local home improvement stores called Habitat ReStores, which sell reusable and surplus building materials, furniture and appliances to the public. The money made from these sales is used to help families build a better future. To donate materials or for large businesses or corporations wishing to make bulk donations of goods and materials, please contact our office at 856.299.7995.
What is a Habitat for Humanity ReStore?
Where does Habitat for Humanity operate?
How are donations distributed and used?
Designated donations are allocated in support of the U.S. affiliate, national organization or program of the donor’s choosing. Undesignated gifts are invested through the Global Impact Fund where they can have the greatest impact.
Habitat’s Global Impact Fund helps:
- Design and replicate innovative programs to serve more low-income families.
- Build the capacity of our network of U.S. affiliates and national organizations.
- Cover other costs necessary to ensure that Habitat fulfills its mission with excellence.
You can donate directly to Salem County Habitat. We welcome donations of supplies and materials as well as monetary donations.
What is the organizational structure of Habitat for Humanity International?
How does Habitat for Humanity work with the government?
Habitat monitors public policies related to housing, community and international development.
Habitat advocates for policies that will increase access to decent, affordable housing available to people around the world.
Habitat accepts government funds as long as they have no conditions that would violate our principles or limit our ability to proclaim our Christian identity.
Is Habitat for Humanity a Christian organization?
FIND US AT: 416 S. Pennsville Auburn Rd | Carneys Point, NJ 08069 ♦ Call us at 856-299-0031